Effective as of December 1, 2017
- Changes to Regulation I, Article 14 (Public Records):
- The Agency’s amendments to Regulation I, Section 14.03 update the language identifying the way the public may submit requests to the Agency, including through the Agency website and make clear that requests may be submitted orally to the Agency. The Agency accepts records requests orally (in person or by phone); in person at the Agency’s office; by letter or email; or through the Agency’s website.
- The Agency’s amendments to Regulation I, Section 14.04 match the new legislative requirement that the Agency must include a reasonable estimate of time to respond to a request with an Agency request for clarification; remove an unnecessary step not used by the Agency when a member of the public wishes to inspect records; and provides notice that the Agency may ask a requester to prioritize requests if more than one is submitted within a 30-day period.
- The amendment to Section 14.05 allows for customized service charges in the amount of the actual cost of the service used for the request. In addition, before the Agency charges a customized service charge, the Agency shall notify the requester of the reason for the charge; a reasonable estimate of the cost of the charge; and the opportunity to amend the request to avoid or reduce the charge.
- The Agency‘s amendment to subsection 14.06(a) reflects the 2016 list maintained by the Municipal Research & Services Center (MRSC) of exemptions applicable to public records requests and adds reference to a list of exemptions applicable to public records requests maintained on the State of Washington Attorney General’s website.
- The Agency made three amendments to Regulation I, Section 14.07. One, the legislature has determined a 10¢ per-page maximum fee for scanned records. Two, addition of subsection (e) to be titled “Actual Costs” and names the actual costs to be charged by the Agency: for mailing, including the cost of the shipping container; for transmitting electronic records, including the cost of a transmission charge if used; use of any needed physical media device or cloud-based data storage or processing; and for a customized service charge consistent with the amended Section 14.05. Three, addition of subsection (f), “Summary of Costs,” stating that if requested, the Agency shall provide a summary of applicable charges before any records are produced and in response to a summary, a requester may revise a request to reduce applicable charges